Saturday, June 1, 2013

In Illinois: The Marriage Equality vote push back to November

Sad news for the LGBT community in Illinois.

The hopes to vote on marriage equality has been pushed to November. Rep. Greg Harris did not call for a vote on his gay marriage bill.

His speech showed his disappointment:
“As chief sponsor of this legislation, decisions surrounding the legislation are mine and mine alone. Several of my colleages have indicated they’d not be willing to cast a vote on this bill today, Harris said shortly after 7 p.m. 
“And I’ve never been sadder to accept this request, but I have to keep my eye, as we all must, on the ultimate prize. They’ve asked for time to go back to their districts, talk to their constituents and reach out to their minds and hearts and have told me they’ll return in November with their word that they’re prepared to support this legislation. 
“And I take my colleagues at their word they shall.”

The battle continues

source

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.