Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Interesting Quote: Wanda Sykes

















“It was from the heart. I just said what I said; I don’t really talk about my sexual orientation. I wasn’t in the closet, but I was just living my life. Everybody who knows me personally knows I’m gay. And that’s the way people should be able to live their lives, really. We shouldn’t have to be standing out here demanding something we automatically should have as citizens of this country.” She ended the impromptu presentation with a statement of pride: “I’m proud to be a woman, I’m proud to be a black woman, and I’m proud to be gay. Let’s go get our damn equal rights.”


Wanda Sykes talking about her coming out speech in November.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well said Ms. Sykes

Anonymous said...

My SO is black. His family has been absolutely great about his being gay. I love his mom, hell I call her Ma when I'm there or she's on the phone.

Every time I go down to NC I get introduced to more of his family and they're all great people.

I do wish his brother would take our little nephew and get his ass up here to the northeast though. I really don't want to see the nephew grow up in NC.

I know the invitation has been extended. We'll see if it comes to pass.

Meanwhile I always get the distinct feeling that my father is ok with my being gay, but the fact that I'm with a black guy still unsettles him.

But Sykes is on to something I've known for some time. If you don't know any gay people then you'll believe the media spin.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.